A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan I have a bad memory. I mean, a really, really bad memory, so that my partner looks at me in amazement when I can't remember a place we went to a couple of weeks ago. My CV has big patches in it simply because I can't remember what the hell I was doing in 2007.Perhaps this has something to do with the strange ride A Visit From the Goon Squad took for me. I began it in extreme like - loving the characters, the great writing - but then somewhere in the middle, I started to get bogged down. Tired. A little jaded even. I was struggling to keep up with the serious amount of characters in this book. A graph would have been handy for a memory moron like me. And so reading this book felt too hard, and then I gave into my relentless habit of reading way too many books at once and put it down, picked up another, and read that for a few days. By the time I got back to this book, my memory shortage was made even worse by having climbed out of the Egan world and I was having to do even more flicking back over previous chapters to remind myself who the hell Drew was, and just where Lulu fit into the picture.And then I hit the chapter written by Alison Blake, the PowerPoint chapter, and something started shifting for me. The plot started coalescing. Suddenly, in the twilight of the book, I fell totally in love. Couldn't get enough. Didn't want it to end.I sigh in admiration at the smartness of Jennifer Egan's mind, at the ride she took me on that covered the gamut of the frailty, the fucked-upedness, the sweet fragility of people, the heartbreak and beautiful ride that is being human.